btw, my headshot photos were taken by my talented friend Bryan Mok. Do check him out!
I am the Founder of Thriving Media, a publisher of mobile healthy living apps #mhealth. You might know me online from my now retired healthy living blog Back in Skinny Jeans where I gabbed about wanting to wear my skinny jeans again. You might have seen me at Noshtopia, my healthy eating blog where I have plenty of food porn and share ideas on how to make eating healthier fun and flavorful. Or, you may have seen me on Twitter where I tweet @skinnyjeans. If you're on Instagram, you've probably drooled over my food photos where I post there as stephaniequilao.
If you want to learn more about my social media experience and past work history, here's my bio.
This place is all about what interests me personally. The topics here are inclusive yet far more broader than what I used to blog about on the other two blogs. I wanted the opportunity to express way more sides of myself because in five years of blogging, I have evolved and grown in so many ways. Now it's time to start branching out.
I don't do New Year's resolutions, I do themes for the year. In 2007, my NY's theme was, "Live authentically," and ever since then it has become my personal mantra. So, I thought it appropos to make the theme of my personal blog, "The Art of Living Authentically."
I'm no expert on living authentically or what it means to be kickass but I'm curious and I want a life that is inherently me. I spent so many years trying to be something else, and frankly that was exhausting and unfulfilling.
So, I thought I would share what I've been learning on my journey with others because that's why I blog in the first place - to share my stories and insights to help others along on their sojourn of growth. I do believe this thing called Life is a team effort, even with strangers on the interwebs, some of the nicest and most supportive people you will ever meet! So how about we learn and grow to be kickass together?
Common topics you will see me write about include:
- Healthy Living: Fitness, Food, and Fun
- Self evolution: I like the word evolution better than improvement because it feels more expansive.
- Social Good and Entrepreneurship: I really believe that you don't have to be near broke to do good in the world. I'm fascinated by the evolution of businesses with for-profit models with the non-profit spirit of doing good in the world. I dig the concept of the B Corporation.
- Friends and Family: I have triplet nieces, and my overall family makes "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" look minuscule. I got about 50 first cousins, and from them as of July 10 there are about 65 great-grandchildren. There are so many no one knows the exact count.
- Dating and Relationships: I'm currently single and back in the dating scene, and dating is so full of blog fodder that I just must share!
- Social media and business: People are always asking me tips, and I love to share what I've learned owning my own internet business.
- Mobile Phone Photography: I have become obsessed taking pictures with my iPhone particularly food. One of my fantasies is to be one of the best mobile phone food photographers in the world :)
Since I like memes, for fun, here's 25 random things about me:
- I've never licked the lids of yogurt, but I most certainly licked the Cool Whip lid.
- My Cool Whip lid licking days are over because I have dairy and egg allergies, and I've eliminated eating anything that have ingredients that sound like a chemistry experiment. My body works better when fueled with stuff made by Mother Nature. But believe you me, I still dream of creamy tubs of Cool Whip.
- I have been to three of the seven continents. I'd like to visit all seven before I die.
- I moved from California (Silicon Valley) to Phoenix, AZ in October of 2009. I came here with no plan not really knowing anyone, and it is the best thing I've ever done.
- My dad served in the U.S. military for 23 years in the Coast Guard. I grew up on military bases around the U.S. My mom was a nurse delivering babies. She's now retired after almost 50 years of nursing.
- The clothes that help me do my best writing: a Mossimo tank top with Adidas sweats (when it's cold) or my faded Levi's shorts (when it's hot.)
- My favorite vegetable is edamame.
- In a previous life, I did the corporate thing in Silicon Valley, worked in Fortune 500s to startups doing tech marketing, advertising, PR, basically pretty people who spin for a living. I escaped Corpse-rate America because it was killing my soul.
- Back in the day, I had the biggest crush on Shaun Cassidy and Rick Springfield...oh Jessie's Girl!
- I dropped 35lbs, and have kept it off 2-1/2 years as of July '10.
- I'm a dog person, but have come to appreciate kittehs. Like many, I Can Haz Cheeseburger fills me with laughter.
- Cilantro makes my dry heave...bad drunk memories in Cabo involving a worm and tiny umbrellas.
- I think Steve Jobs is hot...my geek love.
- My favorite fruits are mango, figs and lychee.
- Whether I'm single or living with someone, I sleep on the left side of the bed.
- I was born and raised Catholic. I stopped going to church in college. I consider myself spiritual not religious. On my Facebook page, I do say that my religion is kindness. I very much believe in God or the Universe (higher powers). If I had to pick a set of beliefs that I resonate with, I'd chose Tao and Buddhism...their principles just make logical sense to me.
- I love a good conspiracy theory.
- I have awesome hair...and you'll hate me for this...but...I don't do anything fancy with it. I use generic brand shampoo and conditioner. I was blessed with awesome hair genes.
- My favorite Southpark character is Butters. In fact, one day when I get a dog, I want to name him Butters.
- I love muscle cars. My dream car is a '67 convertible Mustang in Fire Engine Red.
- My favorite artists are Michelangelo and Dali. I admire Leonardo DaVinci for his all around creativity and genius.
- I fully identify with the characters on the Island of Misfit Toys....They may have been shunned for being different but in the end they did save Christmas you know.
- I can't dance. I'm a Filipina who cannot cha-cha. It's seriously a genetic defect.
- I always feel awe struck when I see sun rays piercing clouds. Really makes me feel like the divine is present.
- I'm a proud user of the LOL! I don't care if people think it's immature. I think it's a small way of spreading more happiness in the world...so LOL! :-D